Friday, February 13, 2009

Here we are at four days down and counting.

Www, wow and WOW!

I just returned home from my 4th workshop in the ten day series and I have to say I was blown away. There was a mind blowing turnout of 35 participants with the facilitators. Yep, Write Around Portland has been keen enough to provide extra facilitators to cover the demand. It obviously insured everyone getting to participate. And I do mean participate, we got to do 4, count-em, 4 free-writes. That included reading and a bit of feedback.

One person had only been living here for two weeks from Chicago and there was someone who had only been here 10 days (how timely!), all the way from Libya. You meet some of the most unexpected blessings in these workshops.

Now onto the writing. Pictures of people were passed around the room and we were asked to write in the voice of one of them. We then started with the prompts "I wish I could" or "I can explain."

(I had a smug-looking 40ish woman)

"I can explain", she said. "The bugger pissed me off."
"That's why I stabbed him, whoops, I meant to say, that's when he ran into the knife, ten times."
Selma Soul could explain anything away if you didn't pay attention closely.
"I had just dyed my hair a new tone of red," she said, That's when my husband had to say, "That particular shade of red is called just shoot me, right?"
If I'd had a gun I would have...but I did not need one cause that's when he ran into the knife. To this day I still wonder, if they can put one man on the moon, why can't they put all men on the moon?"

No comments:

Post a Comment