Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Day Two. Twelve Words

Day Two was at New Avenues for Youth. Also lots of fun and very different from the first. One unexpected joy was finding writers from the ages of 10 thru 81. What inspirations. So one of our prompts was to pick 12 words from a list the group had compiled. The 18 words to choose from were:
rainbow, sunset, weird, kind, pop, smile, voluminous, furze, tale, tomorrow, victorious, lore, magnitude, honey, hodge-podge, muster, shine and perwitsky (Yep. Perwitsky. A cat from North Asia. You can learn all sorts of things in a Write Around Portland workshop.)

I tried to write an action piece and according to the feedback I received from the group, I accomplished just that. The positive feed back was very encouraging. Here's my piece.

We were speeding down the coast of Ireland, top down, wind in our hair. My girlfriend Wilhemena and I were gazing at the most luminous double rainbow we had ever seen. She had her i-pod on, head bobbing and lip-syncing to one of her favorite pop divas. I tried to read her lips, it looked like she she was saying, "put a ring on it." I thought I'd leave well enough alone, Wilhemena gets weird when I mention marriage. I try to be kind and toss a smile her way.

I was still trying to figure out what to get for her birthday tomorrow, something really special for my honey. I had a hodge-podge of thoughts and I was really trying hard to muster up some victorious idea. Just then I swerved the car to the far left to avoid hitting a prewitsky that was in the middle of the road. As we went barreling through the trees only to come to an abrupt stop on the beach, we couldn't believe our eyes. Before us was the most voluminous sunset I'd ever witnessed. The shine and maghitude reminded me of...

JKC

1 comment:

  1. You painted that story so well; I wish I was in the car.

    xoxoxoxox
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete